[whatwg] OBJECT as a link target?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Mar 1 12:12:00 PST 2007

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Hallvord R M Steen wrote:

> often a page needs to interact with a plugin and tell it to load another
> file. Today this is of course done with JavaScript, which is difficult
> because most plugins have different JS interfaces, and there are also
> differences between the plugins' ActiveX based interfaces in IE and the
> NPAPI plugin ones.
>
> Hence I thought it would be a great simplification if we could do the
> following:
>
> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="myMedia"
> data="init.swf" ></object>

> A compliant UA would detect that the target was a plugin and not a
> window, and call the plugin's NPP_NewStream method (I think, I don't
> know NPAPI well at all) to notify it of the new file to load. I think
> backwards compatibility is pretty good since a non-compliant UA would
> open a new window for the new file.

I think this is an interesting idea, though I don't know how much demand
there is for this. I would recommend following this up with the group
documenting the NPAPI. The HTML language basically already supports what
you're asking for; although most UAs would implement it by launching a new
instance of the plugin, it isn't be a requirement IMHO.