[whatwg] OBJECT as a link target?

Michael Enright michael.enright at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:20:53 PST 2007

If this is commonly done with just one line of JS then a bot could
probably find a significant number of pages with that one-liner in the
'a' element's attributes. By one line, I mean a simple unwrapped
property change or invocation of a standard method, not through a
wrapper.

It would be worth spec'ing in HTML5 if it applies to plugins that
don't obey the NPAPI.

Also it is a little troublesome because the proposal messes with the
namespace that the target attribute applies to. Currently there is no
reason to worry about a clash between the names of the windows and the
ids in the current page. To refine the proposal this potential clash
would have to be addressed. Could the target attribute in the example
be "#myMedia" to refer to the id on the current page? In general to
change the media on plugin P on window W you write 'target="W#P"'? And
target="_blank#something" has no defined resolution.