[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

Mihai Sucan mihai.sucan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 04:55:23 PDT 2007

Le Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:37:30 +0200, Matthew Ratzloff
<matt at builtfromsource.com> a écrit:

> Relying on headers is a good way to get people to ignore that part of the
> specification.  Web designers don't want to worry about headers and
> .htaccess files.  It has to be syntactic.

Agreed.

> I don't understand what's wrong with DOCTYPEs, myself.

>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//WHATWG//DTD HTML 5.0//EN"
>    "http://www.whatwg.org/dtd/html5/strict.dtd">
>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/strict.dtd">
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
>
> The seem to serve the purpose.  If there are two HTML 5 specifications,
> browser makers can come together to decide which one to support by
> default
> when no DOCTYPE is present.  Developers who would prefer the alternate
> standard could use the appropriate DOCTYPE.

Hmm... What's the use of a DTD if no UA cannot rely on it? If no UA will
verify the code against the DTD, if no UA will even download it?

I don't know why... but I have the impression some of the people
participating in this discussion want a DOCTYPE DTD just like they want a
by itself, is stripped by all technical value (the value of defining a
DTD), changing its role to a simple tag/line for "informing" the UA and
human code readers about the intentions of the author: "I sing HTML5".

That was actually said by Robert Brodrecht. :)

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future