[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

Robert Brodrecht whatwg at robertdot.org
Tue Mar 13 14:37:57 PDT 2007

Asbjørn Ulsberg Wrote:
> I did not think that @profile could be used as a rendering mode switch,

I didn't mean to suggest this was your line of thought.  What the IE team
uses as a switch is arbitrary.  I'm doing my best to keep the versioning
stuff I mentioned before inline with the topic of the thread.  If they
decide they need something in the HTML document to use, I'm guessing IE
Team wants something that is backwards compatible in the HTML document to
run the switch on (that way XHTML 1 and HTML 4.01 can use it).  (Though I
still endorse a header.)

>  but rather an "understandment level mode" switch for knowing if the
> document is based on W3C HTML5 or WHATWG HTML5.

I agree, and that one reason I'd use it (that and to tell people what I
was working with, even if W3C and WHATWG's HTMLs are the same).  If it had
fringe benefits, it'd be a bonus.

> Hopefully, we won't end  up in a situation with two competing standards,
though.

I hope so, but, as I said before, I'm skeptical.  It's better to be safe
in the end.

--
Robert <http://robertdot.org>