[whatwg] One label: multiple fields

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Mar 13 11:20:00 PDT 2007

Robert Brodrecht wrote:
> Elliotte Harold wrote:
>> What strikes me about examples like this is that the labels for the
>> input fields naturally apply to more than one input field.
>
> I think the main problem with multiple IDs for labels is the usability.
> How would it work and still make sense?

Pretty much like it does now I suspect. When presenting the form control
to a user, the software would assign it the label. It would just use the
same label more than once.

The for attribute is not new. What's being proposed is simply allowing
it to identify multiple controls rather than just one.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!