[whatwg] Embedding Elements Should be Structured Inline-Level

Andrew Fedoniouk news at terrainformatica.com
Wed Mar 14 21:49:40 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au>
To: "Colin Lieberman" <colin at fontshop.com>
Cc: <whatwg at whatwg.org>; "Michel Fortin" <michel.fortin at michelf.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Embedding Elements Should be Structured Inline-Level
>> I have no problems with images remaining inline only.
>
> I think all embedding elements, including img, should be allowed to be
> used in the same places.  I consider it a mistake that HTML4 allows object
> to be used almost anywhere, but img only inline.

Strictly speaking HTML4 does not dictate inline nature of the image.

The only place I've found is this:

"The IMG element has no content; it is *usually* replaced inline by the
image
designated by the src attribute." [1]

This phrase use word "usually" that imply exceptions
other than float cases. This is how I read this but I am not sure about
it.

BTW. Does it make sense for me to create a map of all HTML5 elements
that will define them in terms of  display-model and display-role [2]?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#edef-IMG
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#L706