[whatwg] Figure without caption (was: Embedding Elements Should be Structured Inline-Level)

Simon Pieters zcorpan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:28:05 PDT 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:19:40 +0100, Bill Mason
<whatwg at accessibleinter.net> wrote:

> Michel Fortin wrote:
>
>> Le 2007-03-14 ? 16:24, Lachlan Hunt a ?crit :
>>
>>> Even if figure were allowed to be used without legend, what would  be
>>> the point?  That would be no better than just adding an  extraneous
>>> wrapper <div> around the object just to work around the  content model
>>> restrictions.
>
> As a newcomer still working through the specification, it is not clear
> to me that <figure> requires a <legend>.
>
> The content model calls for "exactly one legend element".  But then
> several paragraphs later the text reads "The first legend element child
> of the element, if any...."

You're confusing document conformance requirements and UA conformance
requirements. The content model applies to documents. The later text you
referred to applies to UAs. (UAs need to handle non-compliant content.)

The Conformance requirements section has the following note:

--
Simon Pieters