[whatwg] Adding mouseenter and mouseleave events

Gareth Hay gazhay at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 13:05:34 PDT 2007

I think I am clearly missing something.
If we take your example, a parent element and several child elements.

If you want to perform an action on mouseover of a child -> attach
the event there and cancel bubble.
If you want to perform an action on parent mouseover -> attach to
parent element and check the target of the event.

Maybe your use case requires something different, but I can't imagine
that scenario.
It is not good programming to know that events bubble and not to
check the target IMHO anyway.

As for redundancy, the keypress event can be distinct from keydown
and keyup, in that kepress does not fire for meta-keys, but the other
two do, in some browsers. (Although I do admit a consensus in
implementation would be good here)