[whatwg] Comments on the <video> element

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 18 15:44:08 PDT 2007

Kornel Lesinski wrote:

> I doubt YouTube would allow that. Such video (even with UI provided by
> browser) lacks features that YouTube probably would require: branding and
> link to their website.

Perhaps. But the current plan seems to be for the second version of
<video> to support native UIs. If that holds true, it's a question of
whether we make it slightly harder for (ordinary) authors or slightly
easier, by having the ui attribute default to native or
author-generated. It's not a question of what we intend to ultimately
make possible.

> I think support for XSPF might be helpful in solving that problem. XSPF
> has <image> element which could be used as stand-in or overlay image and
> <info> elements for link to YouTube and video's page.

Intriguing. My uneducated guess would be that YouTube would prefer to
stick to Flash, since it's probably harder to strip branding out of
Flash than any XML format.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis.