[whatwg] <video> element feedback

Spartanicus spartanicus.3 at ntlworld.ie
Wed Mar 21 06:30:37 PDT 2007

Sander Tekelenburg <st at isoc.nl> wrote:

>IMO this is no different than CSS being icing on the cake. It's nice to allow
>authors to suggest UI-styling and even add functionaility, but it's a mistake
>to make basic functinality (start, stop, pause, (fast)forward, etc.)
>author-dependant.

Recently I have begun to fear that the principle of not relying on CSS
[1] and/or Javascript for anything essential has also been abandoned by
various specifications.

But if I'm wrong and this fight hasn't yet been lost, I'd like to add my
voice to not relying on JS for anything essential at least from a
specification angle.

[1] CSS3 generated content WD enables blurring the distinction between
content and styling by enabling fall back content:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-content-20030514/#inserting3
Example: content: url(danger.png), "Danger!"

--
Spartanicus

(email whitelist in use, non list-server mail will not be seen)