[whatwg] <object>, Flash, & IE7

MegaZone megazone at megazone.org
Wed Mar 21 15:21:35 PDT 2007

Once upon a time Spartanicus shaped the electrons to say...
> When encountering an object element IE7 seems to block all embedding by
> default and it issues "security warnings" [1] . Afaics that virtually
> drives the final nail in the <object> coffin [2].

I haven't seen this myself.  Admittedly, I use Firefox for all my
browsing, but I do have IE7 and I use it for testing pages.  Some of
our sites at work have Flash, and <object> is used.  For example, from
http://www.cyphermint.com/

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
data="main_assets/main_banner.swf" width="576" height="389"
id="top_banner" >
<param name="movie" value="main_assets/main_banner.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
</object>

I've never seen a warning for Flash embedded like this.

-MZ
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/>  <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris