[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 06:55:14 PDT 2007

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Simon Pieters wrote:
>> Browsers are allowed to provide full screen, however there's no API
>> for it. Entering fullscreen should only be under the control of the
>> user, otherwise the author could hijack the user's screen and no way
>> to get out of it (e.g. as soon as the user tries to exit fullscreen,
>> the script goes back to fullscreen).
>
> Indeed. But it would be good to have an event which triggers when the
> user chooses to go full screen, so the page can e.g. hide headers and
> borders. (Or perhaps the onresize() event on the body already does that?).

Hmm.

Perhaps you and I have different ideas about what is meant by "full
screen", but why would a page need to hide anything when the video is
full screen? The page itself won't be visible, because the video will
be taking up the entire screen!

For the purposes of having video take up the entire space on my monitor,
the page doesn't need to be any the wiser... it can go on thinking I'm
viewing it in the little box on their site.

An interesting point to note, though, is that this sort of full-screen
switch effectively allows the user to bypass any overlaid
ads/captions/UI that the site may provide.