[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Mar 22 07:16:52 PDT 2007

Martin Atkins wrote:
> Perhaps you and I have different ideas about what is meant by "full
> screen", but why would a page need to hide anything when the video is
> full screen? The page itself won't be visible, because the video will be
> taking up the entire screen!

My thought was that it would be the same function as the current "full
screen" that the browser has. I.e. the page says "For full-screen, press
F11". The user presses F11 and the browser makes the window full-screen,
and additionally tells the page that this has happened via an event, so
it can arrange to make the appropriate content fill the entire viewport.
(Or not, if they want to continue to display captions, or ads, or a set
of links).

This is a simple solution which is integrated with existing browser
functionality and controls and is not specific to video.

Gerv