[whatwg] <video>, <object>, Timed Media Elements -- Part I SMIL

ddailey ddailey at zoominternet.net
Thu Mar 22 06:57:08 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:03:24, Anne van Kesteren wrote

>> 1. why not just include SMIL as a part of HTML, much in the same way
>> that it is integrated with SVG? It is an existing W3C reco.

>Reasons for not using <t:video> were that it was 1) complicated and 2) not
>used.

Thanks Anne... Is there some easy way to resurrect prior discussions of this
from the archives somewhere? I would like to try to understand the reasoning
here. SMIL doesn't seem complicated to me -- declarative animation is rather
charming and the "complicatedness" is cognitively less demanding than
scripting. Its popularity will probably be synergized by rather dramatic
increases in use of SVG.

DD