[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Mar 22 09:02:13 PDT 2007

Gareth Hay wrote:
> I really don't understand this attitude, it was a very clear point,
> pressing F11 in a *large* number of browsers does not provide a
> 'fullscreen' mode. I mean, how many mobile devices even have an F11?

Er, F11 was an example (that's what it is in Firefox).

I could have said "press whatever key or take whatever user action is
necessary to invoke the browser's mode where it occupies the entire
screen", but I thought that people would have understood what I mean. It
seems not.

My assertion is that the idea of "going to full screen" (i.e. removing
all chrome and allowing the content to take up as much space as
possible) is a fairly common browser thing. Of course, those with a
wider experience of browser implementations than I may well tell me I'm
wrong.

Gerv