[whatwg] <source>

Nicholas Shanks contact at nickshanks.com
Fri Mar 23 14:26:32 PDT 2007

On 23 Mar 2007, at 20:47, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I agree the repetition of source/src is a little weird.
> and name the new element something like <alt>

I don't like abbreviations such as alt and src.
The use case is uncommon enough that <alternate> wouldn't be too much
of a burden to type and ought to prove more readable.

> Perhaps reusing <li> like that is too cute

How about:

<playlist><ol>
</ol></playlist>

User agents that don't support playlist, audio and video just get an
ordered list of fallback text.
UAs that do support them also benefit in being able to negotiate each
variant individually instead of getting whatever collection of media
files the "playlist movie" decides upon.
And perhaps playlists with a <ul> child can play the media in any
order, not necessarily source order, presumably whatever item becomes
available first.

But I have been arguing against element proliferation in another
thread and here I am suggesting new ones :-)

- Nicholas.