[whatwg] <source>

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Mar 23 15:34:49 PDT 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Nicholas Shanks wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2007, at 20:47, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>> I agree the repetition of source/src is a little weird.
>> and name the new element something like <alt>
>
> I don't like abbreviations such as alt and src.
> The use case is uncommon enough that <alternate> wouldn't be too
> much of a burden to type and ought to prove more readable.
>
>> Perhaps reusing <li> like that is too cute
>
> How about:
>
> <playlist><ol>
> </ol></playlist>
>
> User agents that don't support playlist, audio and video just get
> an ordered list of fallback text.
> UAs that do support them also benefit in being able to negotiate
> each variant individually instead of getting whatever collection of
> media files the "playlist movie" decides upon.
> And perhaps playlists with a <ul> child can play the media in any
> order, not necessarily source order, presumably whatever item
> becomes available first.

That's inside out. You want the same audio/video element (with the
same controller connected to it) to play a list of media items in
sequence so it's hooked up to the same controller, etc. I don't think
the <ul> use case makes sense. <playlist> could just be allowed to
contain <li> elements directly, the problem is that it would make the
<li> content model context-sensitive which is a bit annoying.

Regards,
Maciej