[whatwg] <video> element feedback

Kornel Lesinski kornel at osiolki.net
Sun Mar 25 15:17:50 PDT 2007

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:28:38 -0000, Elliotte Harold
<elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

>> there can always be browser defaults that take over, but by allowing
>> authors the ability to override the browsers controls
>> will allow for the flexibility of
>> a) allowing for disabled controls (perhaps disabling fast-forward for
>> training videos)
>
> Seems to me the user shoudl be in control here, not the author. If they
> want to fast forward, the browser lets them. I have no interest in
> enabling or even suggesting the use of the silly DVD type controls where
> you can't fast forward through the ads or the FBI notice.

I find these annoyng myself as well, but I don't think specification could
stop anyone from doing that. Authors use unskippable ads in Flash videos
already. If <video> won't let them do the same, most likely they simply
won't use <video>.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński