[whatwg] <video> element feedback

Sander Tekelenburg st at isoc.nl
Mon Mar 26 01:00:13 PDT 2007

At 22:17 +0000 UTC, on 2007-03-25, Kornel Lesinski wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:28:38 -0000, Elliotte Harold
> <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
>
>>> [...]allowing authors the ability to override the browsers controls [...]
>>
>> Seems to me the user shoudl be in control here [...]
>
> [...] Authors use unskippable ads in Flash videos
> already. If <video> won't let them do the same, most likely they simply
> won't use <video>.

Lack of control hasn't stopped authors from using CSS, nor has it made them
switch to PDF.

By leaving the user in control a UA should per definition be compliant.
Allowing authors to make suggestions is good. Removing control from the user
is not. (An individual UA could still choose to favour authors over users,
just like a UA can ignore anything else in the spec -- users can vote with
their wallet. But specifically requiring UAs to give authors control on the
WWW would be dead wrong.)

--
Sander Tekelenburg