[whatwg] Tendious use cases for <dialog>

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 31 05:12:09 PDT 2007

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> If I remember correctly <li> was suggested for this purpose on IRC. The
> advantage of <li> over <p> would be that people wouldn't easily think you
> could put anything inside <dialog> (as you put <p> almost anywhere).

We need to be careful with that. JAWS would probably read <li> as
"bullet" or with a number, which may be desirable with some lists but
could get rather distracting intermixed with dialog. (Unfortunately, I
can't easily test this myself because I don't own a copy of JAWS.) And
screen reader users are a key audience for <dialog> in the form of
transcripts.

More specialized markup might well end up being paradoxically more
backwards compatible.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis