[whatwg] <font> (was Support Existing Content)

Jon Barnett jonbarnett at gmail.com
Tue May 1 10:47:05 PDT 2007

> The current phrasing doesn't restrict this to span. It allows "WYSIWYG

editors" to produce <p><font size=7>blah</font</p> where <h1>blah</h1> is
> appropriate.

If I understand correctly, even that wouldn't be correct, because the only
attribute specifically allowed on <font> is the "style" attribute.  I don't
personally know of any WYSIWYG editors that use <font style>.  I know of
looks like the spec is trying to be backward compatible with something, but
I don't know what.

If <font> is allowed, then <font size> could be allowed, because a
server-side script could more easily find <font size=7> and replace it with
<h1>.

Since I'm not aware which editors are being graced by allowing <font>
without "size" or "color".  Hopefully before editors start putting an HTML5
DOCTYPE on HTML files, they'll stop using <font> in favor of something
else.  Until then, they can happily put HTML 4.01 Transition (not even
Strict!) on their documents that include <font>