[whatwg] toDataURL() and unsupported formats

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue May 8 13:11:43 PDT 2007

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Aankhen wrote:

> On a perhaps related note, is there a reason for calling it toDataURL()
> instead of toDataURI()?

Basically for consistency with the rest of the platform (starting with
CSS's url() form). I can't keep track of what URIs are called these days.
First it was URLs, then URIs, then there were URNs and shortly after that
the correct term was URLs again, then URL was obsolete altogether and URI
was the right term; then we had IDN and IRIs, and more recently we've
started having XRIs... Whatever. Authors don't need this. "URL" is fine.

> Whether the answer is yes or no, it might be a good idea to tweak that
> section slightly to be more consistent, since it seems to use URI and
> URL interchangably.

Fixed, thanks.