[whatwg] Style sheet loading and parsing (over HTTP)

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Fri May 25 01:49:57 PDT 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007 19:07:58 +0200, Sander Tekelenburg <st at isoc.nl> wrote:
> At 10:02 +0200 UTC, on 2007-05-23, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 May 2007 04:05:26 +0200, Sander Tekelenburg <st at isoc.nl>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm confused about "in all modes" in this context. I thouht the idea
>>> was
>>> to do away with modes altogether?
>>
>> Standards and quirks mode I meant.
>
> But I thought the idea was that there is to be one HTML, with such
> well-defined error handling for UAs that there will be no more modes
> except The One Mode.

Well, this would remove the need for a "mode-check" here. However, there
are probably cases where we can't reduce the differences between quirks
and standards mode (and almost standards mode...) and therefore we have to
live with at least those modes. The main idea however, is that we don't
want require UAs to implement a versioning mechanism that would require
different engines. I also think we should strive for reducing the amount
of differences between standards and quirks mode and at some point define
quirks mode so UAs can simply implement it based on a specification as
opposed to some never ending expensive reverse engineering story.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>