[whatwg] Scripting Tweaks

Dean Edwards dean at edwards.name
Fri May 25 17:46:42 PDT 2007

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On May 19, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Dean Edwards wrote:
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>>> The hashcode() function is a library function and could be added to
>>> ES3 implementations - I'd be willing to support it for WebKit. It
>>> should be noted though that it has the same security/privacy issues
>>> as uniqueID:
>>
>> the DOM API is language agnostic.
>> This feature is too important to leave to scripting language
>> implementations.
>
> To my knowledge, most non-JavaScript programming languages already have
> facilities for hashing on object identity. This is true at least of C++,
> Java, Objective-C and C; it also appears to be true of Python, Ruby,
> Perl and C# as far as I can tell from the docs. What language besides
> JavaScript are you concerned about?

The future looks bright but it is worth pointing out that none of the
two currently available scripting languages support a hash ID. A DOM
property will enable those languages (ECMAScript and VBScript) to
provide backward compatibility.

> Note that hascode() would be more general than uniqueID since it applies
> even to non-DOM objects; it would still be needed in JavaScript even if
> uniqueID was added to the DOM.

Agreed. I would use hashCode() if the language allowed it.

-dean