[whatwg] Scripting Tweaks

liorean liorean at gmail.com
Fri May 25 18:49:53 PDT 2007

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > To my knowledge, most non-JavaScript programming languages already have
> > facilities for hashing on object identity. This is true at least of C++,
> > Java, Objective-C and C; it also appears to be true of Python, Ruby,
> > Perl and C# as far as I can tell from the docs. What language besides
> > JavaScript are you concerned about?

VBScript, of course.

On 26/05/07, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:
> The future looks bright but it is worth pointing out that none of the
> two currently available scripting languages support a hash ID. A DOM
> property will enable those languages (ECMAScript and VBScript) to
> provide backward compatibility.

Hmm. Would it be possible to have a DOM property which was defined to
alias the underlying language hash ID in languages that support such,
and define a backwards compatible variant only for languages that
don't have it? Kinda a reverse language binding.

> > Note that hascode() would be more general than uniqueID since it applies
> > even to non-DOM objects; it would still be needed in JavaScript even if
> > uniqueID was added to the DOM.

> Agreed. I would use hashCode() if the language allowed it.

Nothing prevents the addition of hashCode to ECMAScript 3
implementations. I'm don't know VBScript and it's object model, so I
can't say anything about that.
--
David "liorean" Andersson