[whatwg] One document or two?

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat May 26 05:02:12 PDT 2007

Nicholas Shanks wrote:
> Various people have expressed opinions in favour of either one spec to
> rule them all, or two specs for different audiences. Is not the simplest
> solution to have two views upon the same spec?
>
> HTML 5, Full Version (User Agent Edition)
> "<foo> is deprecated and should not be used, but you have to support it
> anyway."
>
> HTML 5, Abridged Version (Web Author Edition)
> "<foo> is deprecated and should not be used."

I think it would be better for the abridged version not to mention foo
and other deprecated elements at all.

> You can even have them at the same URL, with a pair of radio buttons to
> toggle between them (which just toggles display: none on a class to hide
> the unnecessary info:

Now that's just evil. Each separate resource should have at least one
URL. There may be one source document, but the views are different
documents and should have different URLs.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!