[whatwg] Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Oct 12 15:03:48 PDT 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Robert Brodrecht wrote (in response to Apple's
proposal, quoted):

> > If the presentation of timed media by the user agent has been disabled, if
> > the resource has an unsupported type, or if the preparations for its
> > presentation fail either because of a protocol failure or because the format
> > of the media is unrecognized, the user agent must fire an error event on the
> > element and display the element's fallback content, if available.
>
> So, we have some fallback control.  That is good, as it is lacking from
> WHAT WG at the moment and was something I'm concerned about.  This is
> how I intuitively felt it should work.  I'm glad that is specified.

The way the <video> element now works in the HTML5 proposal is not quite
this -- the fallback is only used if the browser doesn't support <video>
at all, not if it doesn't support the codec. The primary reasons for this
is to stop the bouncing around of content. This is similar to how <iframe>
works. Fallback to different formats is provided via <source>.

> > The controller attribute is a boolean attribute. If the attribute is
> > present, the user agent must display a user interface which allows the
> > user to control the media element. The height attribute on the element
> > does not include the size of the controller, it is the size of the
> > video element only
>
> I like being able to specify this, but the height of the controller needs to:
>
> 1) Be set normatively in this specification.  If the height of the
> controller area changes across browsers, it's going to be a source of
> irritation for developers.
>
> 2) Be set in CSS (as well as positioning options... I'd guess through a
> pseudo element like :controller?).

We'll address this in the rendering section in due course.

> > When the src attribute is set, the user agent must immediately begin
> > to download the specified resource unless the user agent cannot
> > support video/audio, or its support for video/audio has been disabled
>
> One reason I like YouTube is that the download is user-initiated.  If I
> include YouTube content on my site, they see a nice thumbnail from the
> video and a big play button.  If they are on dial-up, they don't have to
> download it.  Autodownload, to me, is flawed.  I know I can set up the
> image and video stuff with JavaScript to work like YouTube.  But if the
> user DOESN'T have JavaScript on, they are stuck with nothing.  I would
> love to see an "autodownload" attribute to complement "autoplay" or use
> "autoplay=0" to disable the auto download.  A way to add a thumbnail
> would be nice while not auto downloading.

The spec has an autoplay="" attribute now, and can stall downloading the
content for as long as the user desires.

> > The DOM attribute currentRate is the rate at which a media element is
> > currently playing.
>
> I'm guessing this would be in frames per second?  Is it the frames per
> second it is playing or the available frames per second encoded in the
> video?

In the spec it's a multiple of the native rate.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Kevin Marks wrote:

> For smooth looping, you need to have the next buffer ready and cued up
> when the previous one finishes. Doing this consistently with a roundtrip
> through javascript events is going to stutter or gap. For video at
> 30fps, you can make the interval, but audio at 48khz means you are more
> likely to hear a click or gap.

The spec now does it declaratively.

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Eric Carlson wrote:

> > I'm guessing this would be in frames per second?  Is it the frames per
> > second it is playing or the available frames per second encoded in the
> > video?
>
> No, it is a multiple of the file's intrinsic (or "natural") rate.
> "Frames per second" loses meaning quickly with digital media files,
> where individual frames can have arbitrary duration (true even for
> animated GIF files).

Right.