[whatwg] Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Oct 12 17:26:55 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> > <http://webkit.org/specs/HTML_Timed_Media_Elements.html>
>
> I'm worried about "The controller attribute is a boolean attribute. If
> the attribute is present, the user agent must display a user interface
> which allows the user to control the media element."
>
> If this is to be taken as "if an author provides no controller
> attribute, the UA is to not provide a UI", I'd have to vote against that
> (for reasons mentioned earlier ;)).

The alternative -- having an attribute to hide the controls -- is what I'd
prefer, but there isn't really a clean way to do that without double
negatives like:

   <video nocontrols>

...with the corresponding:

   video.nocontrols = false;

...to enable controls, which is very confusing.

> What about instead allowing authors to set controller to display:none?
> That would give authors the freedom to suggest present movies
> controllerless, but leave the end user the option to override that, as I
> think it should be.

It's not really a style-level thing -- if the content wants to control the
video, it makes no sense to have the controls present as well.