[whatwg] SQL storage API: optional name, version of the openDatabase()

Timothy Hatcher timothy at apple.com
Thu Apr 10 09:26:33 PDT 2008

Name and version is not just used for UI, it is used to specify what
database to open and to prevent schema conflicts. But I assume you are
talking about the "display name". Just because an implementation wont
present the display name in UI, other implementations will. Letting
authors optionally leave out the display name will just give a bad
experience is user agents that do show them. User agents that don't
plan to show the display name could just ignore the argument.

On Apr 10, 2008, at 4:36 AM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> Is there any reason not to make name and version of the openDatabase()
> method in the SQL storage spec optional
> (http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-sql.html)?
> In some implementations, there may not be an opportunity to offer a UI
> where these parameters will be used.

— Timothy Hatcher