[whatwg] several messages about <cite>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Apr 14 22:59:43 PDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Shannon wrote:

> > All of them. "class" isn't intended for styling, it's intended to
> > subclass elements.
>
> Regardless of the intention of the class element it is NOT used in the
> real world to subclass anything but styles and custom script. We may
> wish otherwise but that is irrelevant. The value of class to me is:
>
> * To get style information out of the content stream.
> * To allow the re-use and grouping of style information.
> * To provide alternate styles for printing, or user choice.
> * To identify related elements to javascript code.

Sure, and that's fine -- so long as the subclassing is done in a way that
isn't specific to the desired presentation, there's no clash with the
intent of the attribute.

> In a perfect world, yes. In reality the people involved may not even
> work for the same company. I can see a situation arising where the
> "meaning" of classes are being assigned by a company like Google for use
> with their crawler but those classes are already be in use for
> presentation purposes. How will the crawler know which uses are
> intentional and which are not. How will the designer know which classes
> are "reserved", when the system that will use them may not even exist
> yet.

Ironically (given that you proposed using rel="" instead) as far as I know
Google has never based anything on class values, but has used rel=""
values (like rel="nofollow").

> As do I but that isn't relevant to the problem. If you feel that class
> should have a purpose other than it's widely used ones (styles and JS)
> then HTML5 must provide an alternative for these uses.

I don't understand why you think it's an alternative use. All of these
uses are subclassing the element, the styling and scripting is then hookd
on those subclasses.