[whatwg] several messages about <cite>

Shannon shannon at arc.net.au
Tue Apr 15 00:10:27 PDT 2008

> Ironically (given that you proposed using rel="" instead) as far as I know
> Google has never based anything on class values, but has used rel=""
> values (like rel="nofollow").

Which indicates to me that they were concerned enough about
class="nofollow" to not use it. I personally think that "nofollow" is
not a (rel)ationship and probably a misuse of that element. Anyway I'm
not fixed on rel, it could be any name as long as it isn't type or
class. It could be argued that conceptually "type", relationship" and
"class" are three words that all mean exactly the same thing (the
relationship of an object to its environment) but we have them all now
and all apparently serving different purposes. Adding another attribute
like category="movie" probably won't make things any easier.

For that reason I believe rel= for categories that "do" something and
class= for categories that need styles/js is enough of a distinction as
it helps keep designers and developers out of each others way.

>> As do I but that isn't relevant to the problem. If you feel that class
>> should have a purpose other than it's widely used ones (styles and JS)
>> then HTML5 must provide an alternative for these uses.
>>

> I don't understand why you think it's an alternative use. All of these
> uses are subclassing the element, the styling and scripting is then hookd
> on those subclasses.

It's alternative because it attempts to actually "classify" something
rather than generically label it. I agree that class should only do the
first and I do this with my own code but most designers do not. As far
as the web design world is concerned class serves no purpose except as a
JS/CSS hook. If you give class="book" or class="movie" special meaning
or behaviour then you run the risk of clashing with existing stylesheets.

Right now the mainstream web is "misusing" class. If you suddenly make
class meaningful then some sites are going to get stung and not
necessarily at any fault of their own - since the intellectual
distinctions between "labels" and "classes" is of no concern to somebody
putting pretty borders on a page.

Shannon