[whatwg] overflow of seamless iframes

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Aug 18 01:53:44 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> > > As far as I can tell there is no ambiguity to the concept of the
> > > bounding box of the content in the canvas, especially given the way
> > > the initial containing block is forced to zero height.
> >
> > What's the answer to my question then? Should I have been able to derive
> > it somehow?
>
> I don't understand the question. How does the viewport affect the bounding
> box?

Suppose the iframe's document is
background:yellow;"></body>
What's the height of the bounding box? 400px or 500px?

I just thought of another problem with allowing the contents of a
> "seamless" iframe to overflow outside the iframe box.
>
> One of the main uses for this will be to sandbox blog comments, using the
> yet-to-be-defined doc="" attribute, as in:
>
>   <iframe doc="<!DOCTYPE HTML><p>You suck"
>           seamless sandbox="allow-same-origin"></iframe>
>
> If we allow the contents to flow out of the box, then we also allow blog
> comments to start overlapping other content on the page.

Yeah, although setting overflow:hidden on the iframe could be used to
prevent that.

> I'm concerned about the use case of very wide content in the iframe
> > (i.e. content overflowing the root element horizontally); for example a
> > forum with many wide messages, each of which is a seamless iframe. Right
> > now it seems the choices are to either have a horizontal scrollbar in
> > each message or clip each message horizontally, there's no way to make
> > it work like a forum page.
>
> The way forum pages work now is that the content ends up screwing up the
> rest of the page, so I think that's a good thing. :-) People work around
> this now by forcing line break opportunities to exist in long URLs, etc,
> or by setting overflow:auto on user-submitted content.

Yes, although it would be nice to offer authors a choice. Oh well, I suppose
it doesn't matter too much.

Rob
53:5-6]