[whatwg] Client-side includes proposal

Bill Wallace wayfarer3130 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 13:48:18 PDT 2008

It is only expensive if the client needs to do the client side include each
time - however, if the page re-uses parts all the time, then parts of the
page can be cached either in a proxy or directly client side, and that can
make it faster as well as reducing server load.
Consider including 3-4 components:

<include src="static-header" />
<include src="user-specific-data" />
<include src="dynamic-daily-content" />

This type of page needs to be read at least a couple of times for each
client for it to be faster, but there are lots of clients like that.

HOWEVER - how about just using the xlink design and making it part of the
html standard (allowing HTML fragments to be included, not just XML).  That
has client side includes, and also supports client side replacement of
components based on clicking a URL/button/object.  Supporting xlink in html
consistently would allow most of the current JavaScript based applications
to be replaced with JavaScript free applications, and that would make many
of them much safer, and is reasonably efficient.