[whatwg] Use cases for Node.getElementById

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Dec 8 14:31:53 PST 2008

>> I see the Element interface no more contains methods to handle Attr
>> nodes: since those are described as not being child nodes of an
>> Element, in W3C specifications, there will be any other way to handle
>> attributes as nodes, the 'nature' of Attr nodes is going to change, or
>> is there a too little use (and/or support) of them, such that the Attr
>> interface might be quite close to its 'end of life'?
>
> I'm not sure what to do with attributes. I'd like to drop support for
> attribute nodes (being moved around, etc), if possible, but keep the
> .attributes list and be able to use .value etc on each attribute.

Oooh, this is an interesting idea. It'd be great if we could make
attributes not be nodes but rather some other type of object.

Ideally I'd like for them to not exist at all, and have people just use
getAttribute(NS) instead. I've never thought that their usefulness
outweighed their complexity.

/ Jonas