[whatwg] Thoughts on HTML 5

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 06:02:30 PST 2008

2008/12/16 Nils Dagsson Moskopp <
nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net>

> Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2008, 14:32 +0100 schrieb Giovanni Campagna:
>
> > (The same behaviour can be achieved also with a @namespace rule,
> > putting non-standard attributes in an application-specific namespace)
>
> Since data attributes do not exist as of yet, I believe people would use
> XML for namespaces, so I somehow don't see your problem.
>
> 1) data attributes are not standarized and the "dataset" DOMStringMap is
not present, but if you try using them with domCore interfaces they should
work (i haven't tested though)
2) XML serialization is much more difficlut to implement than old HTML, and,
as i said before, in many cases it is not implementable at all: probably a
company which hosts user-generated content such as blogs or forums won't
like that no browser can display his pages because someone wrote invalid
html
even the most experienced can mis-type code, and in that case the only way
to solve is to manually edit source using a plain text editor, which is not
possible with user-generated content
3) the "dataset" DOMStringMap is a quite useful way to enumerate attributes
explicitly marked as "application data"