[whatwg] accesskey attribute with display:none elements

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Sun Dec 28 19:50:36 PST 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:01:42 +1100, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay at helsinki.fi>
wrote:

> On 11/27/2008 06:52 PM, Calogero Alex Baldacchino wrote:
>> Perhaps a *good* rationale could be, "if you can't see the control,
> There are other modalities than just visual.

Sure. But users generally expect the page to work the same dependent on
usage, not dependent on their modality (which the page can't be sure of
anyway).

>> So, I stand up for
>> standardizing the "disallow accesskey activation for 'display:none'
>> elements" behaviour.
> So you're willing to break accesskeys on some websites.
>
> Note, I'm not very strongly supporting accesskeys on display:none
> elements, but breaking existing web sites doesn't sound good.

In principle I think it makes good sense for accesskeys not to work on
things that are disply:none. But in practice, I think Olli's argument ("it
ain't broke so lets not 'fix' it - especially in a way that breaks stuff")
is the one that carries the most weight.

cheers

Chaals