[whatwg] Expanding datetime

WeBMartians webmartians at verizon.net
Thu Jul 31 04:58:10 PDT 2008

Believe it or not, Yes!

Consider the couple to be congratulated on their gazillionth anniversary. Is that diamond, gold, platinum? Whatever it is, if your
date time system is limited to epoch 1970, you're out of luck. That's why I claim that restrictions (rigorously documented) are OK
as long as they are not ludicrous - "ludicrous" being a gray area, rather than a sharp line - 1970 definitely is, 1900 is probably
OK, 1582 is interesting and far less ludicrous, while -9999 is very safe but maybe ludicrous in other ways (prolepsis, locales...).