[whatwg] 'input' event interpretation

Rimvydas naktinis at gmail.com
Fri May 2 02:12:46 PDT 2008

The question is related to the 'input' event on Web Forms 2.0.

The WF2 specification says:
"This [input] event must be fired on a control whenever the value of
the control changes due to input from the user, and is otherwise
identical to the change event."

However, there are a few problems with current interpretation of this sentence.

The first one - what is considered an "input from the user"? I just
check on opera and firefox3 - they fire the event when I enter
something, but if i select an entry from autocomplete list or browser
fills some forms for me - it is not fired. When I select a value from
a list I usually want the value in the field to change - it is like
typing, just faster. I have filed a bug for ff. Maybe a specification
could be more precise on what is an input from the user...

Other problem is automatic form filling. Browser remembers some values
(most frequently it is a login form) and when the page is loaded it
enters them. Forms are also filled when in a login form user selects a
name from an autocomplete list (the password is filled). In opera it
is filled using 'wand'. The problem is - the values of fields change
silently, without informing the page (i.e. without firing an event).
Does specification say anything about this situation? If it does not,
maybe it should? But in this case it would not be an "input from the
user" so it should be a different event probably.

Motivation. This would be convenient for various incremental search
UIs and other cases when page should know about the change
immediately.

--
Rimvydas Naktinis