[whatwg] <link rel=icon width=

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon May 5 12:57:26 PDT 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 10:28 AM, Ernest Cline wrote:

> [...]

<title> is parsed as CDATA, so tags inside it are not processed as
such, and instead become part of the title. Try opening a document
containing this to see:

Thus, putting <icon> in the <title> would look terrible in all
existing user agents (at least ones that display the title), in
addition to being a total hack.

In addition, if we add <icon>, UAs will have to parse both <link
rel="icon"> (since many sites already specify icons this way,
sometimes 16x16 but sometimes bigger) and the new <icon>, but the old
way will have no way to specify size data. In fact, if a site has
icons with sizes from 16x16 up to anything you could reasonably want,
it will have to link it with <link rel="icon"> to support older
browsers and then again with <icon> to specify the size data.

So, on further reflection, I think a new <icon> element would be a bad
way to go.

Regards,
Maciej