[whatwg] <link rel=icon width="" height="">aRe:

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed May 7 19:17:38 PDT 2008

I've added a "sizes" attribute to <link> for the "icon" keyword. It takes
a space separated list of keywords consisting of two integers separated by
an "x" or the keyword "any".

GENERAL NEED

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Kornel Lesinski wrote:

> It doesn't have to download four images. For purpose of instant preview,
> UA can display first file it downloads.
>
> And you don't have to use many files, because larger files can (usually)
> be scaled to smaller sizes.
>
> When one file isn't good enough, authors could provide additional
> ico/icns which can have best quality OS can handle, e.g:
>
> <link rel=icon href="favicon.png" type="image/png"> <!-- 16 or 32px -->
> <link rel=application-icon href="appicon.png" type="image/png"> <!-- 128px,
> ~25kb -->
> <link rel=application-icon href="appicon.ico" type="image/x-ico"> <!--
> possibly all sizes between 16 and 256px, ~90kb -->
>
> UA could assume that ico/icns offers better quality on platform that
> supports this file format and also that this file is going to be larger
> (because it contains set of images as opposed to single image).

Ok so from the above we get the following requirements:

 * Allow the UA to display the best icon from a set of differently sized
   icons that represent the page
 * Low latency (enable the UA to only fetch one image)
 * Handle non-square icons
 * Handle non-bitmap icons
 * Handle icon files that contain more than one size

PROPOSAL: height=""/width=""

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Ernest Cline wrote:

> If new attributes are added to the link element to represent the
> intrinsic size of an object, then at the very least they should have
> different names and not confuse things by assigning two separate
> meanings to height and width based on the element they are attached to.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> For vector formats, that can be scaled to any size, it might be a good
> idea to be able to specify the aspect ratio somehow.
>
> For example, if the aspect ratio of one vector format icon is 4:3 and
> the other 16:9, then it would be a "good" idea to be able to specify
> those somehow.
>
> So possibly something like...
>
> <link type="icon" type="application/svg" width="4*" height="3*"
> href="A.svg">
>
> <link type="icon" type="application/svg" width="16*" height="9*"
> href="B.svg">
>
> (Note, I used the N* format to specify that the width and height are
> ratios rather than pixel measurements.  For some reason I remember
> seeing these used on <col> elements before... although I couldn't find
> anything like it in doing a quick look over the the HTML5 spec.  So
> maybe those didn't come from the spec.)

This proposal doesn't really handle icon files that contain more than one
size -- specifying the same icon multiple times is ugly and annoying.

PROPOSAL: sizes=""

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I would suggest a sizes attribute which can take a list of sizes (with x
> as a width/height separator), or a keyword such as "any" or "scalable"
> to indicate a scalable format suitable for any size.

I've used this proposal.

PROPOSAL: Use media queries

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Martin Atkins wrote:

> I believe the use-case we're discussing is the selection of an
> appropriate icon to display at a size determined by the UA. Specifying
> the physical dimensions of the image itself is one way to do that.
> Allowing the author to make statements like "this icon is only suitable
> at 16x16px" is another.
>
> The latter allows the author rather than the UA the chance to specify
> what icon will be best for a given size.

Using media queries for this is serious overkill. I can easily imagine
uses for this that are from code that doesn't have a media queries
implementation available, and this isn't something that implementors are
going to implement media queries for. We need a solution that is easy to
adopt from the implementation point of view.

That isn't to say that media queries shouldn't be allowed, though, and if
people use them then they should work, if the UA supports them.

PROPOSAL: A generic attribute

On Sat, 3 May 2008, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> Why? To me it seems much preferable to separate the attributes of an
> object into separate name/value pairs then trying to mash them all
> together into one value.

I don't really agree with the premise that we somehow need to be frugal
with attributes. We should use them when they are appropriate. Sure, we
shouldn't waste them, but they're not a resource in scarce supply or that
has some insane cost to them.

Note that we already have a DOM attribute on <link> that is specific to
one rel type, namely "disabled".

In fact, generic attributes are a pain in the neck. Consider "title",
whose behaviour changes radically if we're talking about rel=stylesheet
versus something else.

PROPOSAL: MIME type parameters

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Jeff Walden wrote:

> This might require that existing browsers cope correctly (or exploit
> duplication/error behaviors), but could a MIME parameter address this
> without needing another attribute at all?  That's the most narrowly
> scoped change I can imagine that would address the need.
>
>  <link rel="icon" type="application/svg; sizes=any" href="whatwg.svg">
>  <link rel="icon" type='image/microsoft.vnd.icon; sizes="16x16,32x32"'
>  href="whatwg.ico">
>  <link rel="icon" type='image/x-apple-icons;
>  sizes="16x16,32x32,64x64,128x128,256x256,512x512"' href="whatwg.icns">
>  <link rel="icon" type="image/png; sizes=59x60" href="whatwg.png">
>
> Restrictions on what a parameter value may be (basically can't contain
> any separators or whitespace) are a touch confounding here because you
> don't have any separators unless you quote; that probably factors into
> the equation here.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I'm not against using a MIME parameter per se, but it would have to be
> x-prefixed (unless we register it) and I'd strongly prefer a syntax that
> does not require use of nested quotes.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Martin Atkins wrote:

> I recall that another group in a similar situation were considering
> something like the following:
>
> <link rel="icon" type="image/gif; width=24, height=24" href="...">
>
> Presumably the above would be more the bailiwick of the MIME standard
> than the HTML standard, but this seems cleaner to me than adding some
> special-case attributes to the html LINK element.

This doesn't really work because we would need to add parameters to types
we might not yet know. It also results in potentially complicated parsing
rules, which I don't think people would get right. (See the comments I
made for media queries.)

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Philipp Serafin wrote:

> I'd like to plug the approach with MIME parameters again, because it
> seems by far the most elegant and clean to me.

There's no need to request things more than once -- I base my editing
decisions on the quality of the arguments put forward, not the quantity.
By all means, if you have new information, bring it forward, but merely
repeating what has already been said doesn't do anything.

PROPOSAL: New rel="" keywords

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I'm sure the last thing that is needed is more syntax suggestions, but
> here's an alternate proposal with no new attributes, specify size info
> as additional rel keywords:
>
> <link rel="icon scalable" type="application/svg" href="whatwg.svg">
> <link rel="icon 16x16 32x32" type="image/microsoft.vnd.icon"
> href="whatwg.ico">
> <link rel="icon 16x16 32x32 64x64 128x128 256x256 512x512" type="image/
> x-apple-icons" href="whatwg.icns">
> <link rel="icon 59x60" type="image/png" href="whatwg.png">
>
> This would however effectively define an open-ended set of rel values,
> and also it is dubious whether a size can be considered a relationship.

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Ernest Cline wrote:

> If this approach is taken, rather than preempt any possible use of size
> related values for icons, how about:
>
> <link rel="icon" type="application/svg" href="whatwg.svg">
> <link rel="icon icon-16 icon-32" type="image/microsoft.vnd.icon" href="whatwg.ico">
> <link rel="icon icon-16 icon-32 icon-64 icon-128 icon-256 icon-512" type="image/x-apple-icons" href="whatwg.icns">
> <link rel="icon icon-59x60" type="image/png" href="whatwg.png">
>
> Using "icon-*" to indicate square icons and "icon-*-*" to indicate
> non-square icons would give a specific relationship of it being an icon
> a specific size for a particular rel value and not be quite so open
> ended.  Scalability is already indicated by the type attribute and could
> be left to be implied by the use of just plain "icon" without any of the
> more specific markers.  The use of the plain icon keyword on the ones
> with specific sizes indicated would only be needed for backward
> compatability with UAs that don't understand the extended forms proposed
> here.

I don't think this fits the semantics of the rel="" attribute. The
keywords are supposed to stand alone (even if they sometimes reinforce
each other). Also, this is somewhat hard to parse (see the media queries
comments again).

PROPOSAL: <icon>

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> In addition, if we add <icon>, UAs will have to parse both <link
> rel="icon"> (since many sites already specify icons this way, sometimes
> 16x16 but sometimes bigger) and the new <icon>, but the old way will
> have no way to specify size data. In fact, if a site has icons with
> sizes from 16x16 up to anything you could reasonably want, it will have
> to link it with <link rel="icon"> to support older browsers and then
> again with <icon> to specify the size data.
>
> So, on further reflection, I think a new <icon> element would be a bad
> way to go.

I share the backwards compatibility concerns described above.

PROPOSAL: style="" attribute

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Smylers wrote:

> The style attribute says _how_ to display something, not what that
> something _is_.  The above says: "Ignore the icon's intrinsic size and
> scale it to 16 x 16."
>
> CSS is optional, so browsers shouldn't be forced to use it to find out
> some meta-data.  And if a user had elected to turn off CSS for
> displaying in pages, would a browser still be permitted to use it for
> this purpose?
>
> Nested attribute syntax is more awkward and error-prone than having
> width and height directly on the element.

I agree with Smylers' reasoning; CSS seems inappropriate here. It would
also be complicated to parse (see my earlier media queries comments).

PROPOSAL: Some hack with <title>

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Ernest Cline wrote:

> Would making <icon> an optional content of <title> break backwards
> compatibility?  The incompatibility problem you mention comes from the
> start and end tags of both <head> and <body> being optional.  That isn't
> the case for title and it makes sense syntactically to place it there as
> the icon is part of the identifying information for the document.

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> <title> is parsed as CDATA, so tags inside it are not processed as such,
> and instead become part of the title. Try opening a document containing
> this to see:

> Thus, putting <icon> in the <title> would look terrible in all existing
> user agents (at least ones that display the title), in addition to being
> a total hack.

This would work for backwards compatibility reasons as Maciej describes.

RATHOLES

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I think specifying aspect ratio and specifying duration of sound clip
> are less compelling information to provide than icon sizes. This
> information is intended to help determine which of possibly several
> icons are appropriate for use in native UI contexts, without having to
> download them. The last 3 of my 4 examples would be the best choices for
> Windows XP, Mac OS X, and iPhone respectively, as icons for documents or
> applications in the native UI. The Apple ICNS format would actually be a
> better choice for Windows Vista, despite the file format, because Vista
> HI guidelines call for availability of large icons and format conversion
> would be a better choice than the large sizes. So this information is
> not just redundant with the MIME type.
>
> My first example (the SVG) could be used anywhere if UA understands SVG
> and can render down to the specific sizes needed by the computing
> environment. But it may not be feasible for all artwork to be provided
> in vector format and in any case it may not scale well to tiny sizes
> such as 16x16.
>
> By contrast, I do not know of any actual need to determine the aspect
> ratio of an SVG icon or the duration of a sound icon. I do not know of
> cases where HI guidelines for particular platforms would recommend
> different choices of icon aspect ratio or sound icon duration. Thus, I
> suggest we limit ourselves to adding only the info that is actually
> known to be needed at this time. If UI innovation creates a need for
> more info, we can add it to the spec then.

We haven't had any requests for anything but height/width. We do not want
to fall into second system syndrome before even having a first system
here... There is a proper order to spec design!