[whatwg] Text APIs on <canvas>

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Wed May 7 15:02:54 PDT 2008

fantasai schrieb:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>
>> The idea is that only scalable (vector) fonts should be used, since
>> otherwise things will quickly look ugly. I've made the spec require this.
>>
>> Going forward the spec is likely to require effects such as adding text to
>> paths, which will require vector data for all fonts used anyway. I don't
>> want to mislead implementators into thinking bitmap fonts are in any way
>> an option in this day and age.
>
> Just fyi...
>
> IIRC, Chinese and Japanese fonts often have to use bitmaps for smaller
> pixel sizes. Shrinking the vector wouldn't be clear enough for high-density
> characters: in many cases certain carefully-chosen strokes are left out in
> the smaller sizes in order to make it legible.

I don't think a lovingly handcrafted 9px glyph would still be
legible after rotating it according to the path - unless the
path is just a straight horizontal line.

> Judging from information
> about Meiryo, it seems more recent font technology uses vectors + hinting
> to solve the same problem... but maybe it's something to keep in mind.

afaicr fonts have used hinting for the last 15 years if not more
so that's not some kind of new technology.

Regards,
Philipp Kempgen
--
Asterisk-Tag.org 2008, May 26th/27th  -> http://www.asterisk-tag.org