[whatwg] HTML4's profile="" attribute's absence in HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed May 7 16:29:37 PDT 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> Your logic is filled with fallacy.  It pressumes that because people are
> not doing something that would otherwise cause a problem because that
> problem currently doesn't exist.
>
> That would be like you saying "But people in this region don't need
> bridges to cross the river because no body travels to the other side"
> when there are currently no bridges close enough make it realistic.
> Build a bridge locally and things will change drastically.
>
> By the same point, people avoid this problem because there is no safe
> way to address it. If there were a safe way, usage will blossom.
>
> In summary, you are using far too much confirmation bias in your
> decisions.

Generally speaking, on the Web, if there is a need people will work around
the problem in obvious ways. To continue your analogy, if people wanted to
get to the other side, they would use boats, they would swim, they would
climb on the back of aligators, they would dig tunnels, etc.

In this particular area -- disambiguation of class names and other
metadata fields -- we see very little in the way of people avoiding name
clashes. Indeed, the rare times where a clash becomes a problem, the names
are simply changed to avoid the problem.

It's possible that this will become more of a problem in future, but then
that's when we should fix it -- when we know what the needs are. At the
moment, any fix here would be based on theoretical concerns.