[whatwg] comments section 1

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue May 6 18:05:13 PDT 2008

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> I started reviewing the whole html 5 spec and will send my comments,
> section by section, on the fly, to this list. Hoping you'll find it
> useful...
>
> 1.3.3 "backwards-compatibility is retained"
>       This could appear earlier in the spec, for instance in the
>       abstract. Think journalists, press and tech news coverage.

Fixed.

> 1.4.  The single fact that HTML v5 needs to use a 1999 namespace already
>       used by earlier versions of the language indicates that namespaces
>       are a rather bad solution to the problems they're trying to
>       solve... Conclusion : follow that path and imagine something
>       better.

We've followed it to the point of hiding all trace of the namespace syntax
from text/html, even while supporting MathML and SVG (SVG support is
currently commented out waiting for the SVGWG to come up with something
they think will work).

Sadly there's not much we can do on the XML side.

> 1.4.  "any Node with node type 3 or 4"
>       Please don't put a numerical value here but Node.TEXT_NODE and
>       Node.CDATA_SECTION_NODE

Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback,