[whatwg] Deprecating <small> , <b> ?

Asbjørn Ulsberg list at asbjorn.ulsberg.no
Mon Nov 24 12:36:33 PST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:19:44 +0100, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:

> I don't see how that explains why <small> is an inappropriate tag to use
> for things which an author wishes to be less noticeable.

I was thinking mostly about the tag's current usage on the web, which is a crazy mix between the HTML4 and HTML5 definition of the element. HTML4 defines it purely presentational, HTML5 mostly semantical. In that context, I believe <small> is inappropriate.

However, as you write and as HTML5 defines it, there is nothing wrong with <small> per se, and I agree that as an element indicating "smallprint", it works just fine.

Since my initial reply might have been a bit too colored by the HTML4 definition of the element and its current usage on the web, I hereby withdraw my comment and conclude that I mostly agree with you. :-)

Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-          asbjorn at ulsberg.no