[whatwg] Citing multiple <blockquote> elements in HTML5

Calogero Alex Baldacchino alex.baldacchino at email.it
Sun Nov 30 08:38:26 PST 2008

Ian Hickson ha scritto:
> I've removed the offending text.
>
> I don't think we can say that quotes should always come before their
> citations. For example, it's easy to imagine a blog that says:

> ...which is equally problematic.
>
> Frankly, I'm not sure this was solving any real problems anyway.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the whole function of the <cite> element,
and perhaps I'm bothering again with ids and references, but the
relationship between a <cite> and a quotation could be disambiguated by
coupling an id and a reference to that id. For instance, if it made
sense to relate several quotations to a single <cite>, the <cite>
element could hold the id, and every block related to the same source
could refer to it with an attribute, let's call it 'from'.

Q: What problem does it solve?
Uhm... perhaps a first cite could be a complete reference, i.e. a book
name along its author, publisher and IBAN code, or a reference to
another site/blog, its author and a link to the page with the quoted
text. Ok, and now? Let's say any other reference to the same sorce could
be shorter and without the need of any markup, but for styling, while
the quotation block could remind the whole sorce to the reader, for
instance, when the user moved his pointer over it, or focuses the
where the content of the title attribute - and a screen reader could
speak it aloud after the quotation, and if the referred <cite> contained
a link, a click on the <blocquote> content (or any other kind of
activation) could open the linked page in another tab/window.

For sure, no reference to any natural language can disambiguate such
relationship (human languages are ambigous and context-dependent by
definition).

BR, Alex

 Sponsor:
 Incontri con Meetic : Primo sito d'incontri in Europa - Milioni di single !
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8293&d=30-11