[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 15:56:01 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:32 AM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 15.10.2008, 20:03 -0700 schrieb Eric Carlson:
>>    After thinking about this, I'm not sure that limiting playback to a
>> section of a media file will be used very often.
> Transcript anyone ? If you want to embed a lecture, for example, it
> makes sense to be able to "link" to specific points.

Linking to a specific time point or section in a media file is not
something that needs to be solved by HTML. It is in fact a URI issue
and is being developed by the W3C Media Fragments working group.

If you use a URI such as http://example.com/mediafile.ogv#time=12-30
in the src attribute of the video element, you will not even have to
worry about "start" and "end" attributes for the video element.

Take the analogy of html pages - HTML does not specify how to get a
paragraph out of a html page either. It is done by a URI reference to
the name (id) of that paragraph. This should be done in the same way
for video and other Web resources.

Then, a loop over that segment only requires a boolean loop attribute.

Regards,
Silvia.