[whatwg] input type="hidden" and validation

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Wed Oct 22 08:44:47 PDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:41:37 +0200, Oldřich Vetešník <vetesnik at mrmil.cz>
wrote:
> I'd like to throw a question out here, please don't shoot me if it's
> been already answered, I'm a full-time coder and don't have an internet
> at home so I can't make any deep researches in your archives.
>
> Q: Is it possible that hidden inputs don't have to be in a semantic tag?
> That is it passes the validation test without showing this error up:
> line 20 column 32 - Error: document type does not allow element "input"
> here; missing one of "p", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "div",
> "pre", "address", "fieldset", "ins", "del" start-tag
>
> It's because hidden inputs aren't meant to be shown to the front-end
> user so it doesn't mean if it's not covered in a semantic tag. Sometimes
> it's O.K., you have a form with a few fieldsets so you can put it in
> one, but sometimes it's rather stupid having to do <div><input
> type="hidden" name="somename" value="somevalue" /></div> just to silence
> the validator.

You can test this with http://validator.nu/ which already validates HTML5.
You can basically insert <input type=hidden> (and other <input> types)
virtually anywhere except directly inside <table>, <ol> and elements with
similar special models. Does that help?

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>