[whatwg] Start position of media resources

Eric Carlson eric.carlson at apple.com
Mon Apr 6 08:40:06 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 3:08 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz
> > wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
>
>>> I doubt though we need another attribute on the element - the
>>> information is stored in the src URL, so should be retrieved from
>>> there IMHO.
>>
>> In this case it is not stored in the src URL in a way the author of
>> the document can retrieve. An oggz-chopped file can be copied and
>> served with a normal filename for example. The time is embedded in
>> the
>> Ogg file. There is no way for the author to retrieve it. Hence the
>> need for an attribute.
>
> Ah, yes, in this case it can only come from the file directly into a
> DOM property. I see. I agree, there is a need for an explicit
> attribute.

   A media file with a non-zero initial time stamp is not new to oggz-
chopped files (eg. an MPEG stream initial PTS can have any value,
SMPTE time-codes do not necessarily start at zero, etc) , but I
disagree that we need a new attribute to handle it.

   Media time values are expressed in normal play time (NPT), the
absolute position relative to the beginning of the presentation. It is
the responsibility of the UA to map time zero of the element to the
starting time of the media resource, whatever it may be.

eric