[whatwg] Please review use cases relating to embedding micro-data in text/html

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Apr 28 12:11:37 PDT 2009

(Please avoid cross-posting. I've bcc'ed public-html since this e-mail was
originally sent to both whatwg and public-html, but the thread has mostly
been on the whatwg list so far.)

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> > From the point of view of the HTML5 effort, what is needed is use cases,
> > scenarios, and requirements, that don't in any way imply a particular
> > solution, as in the list I posted, so that solutions can be evaluated.
>
> So how do the solutions get proposed, or do you already have a candidate list
> you have selected? What's the process here?

As with other issues, I intend to carefully examine the many suggestions
that have already been put forward (RDFa and the various other forms of
RDF, Microformats, the various extension mechanisms in HTML4, various
domain-specific solutions, NLP-type solutions, automated search solutions
that already exist, etc) as well as considering possible new solutions for
specific problems. This will then result in a draft proposal for further
discussion. There's no need to propose solutions yet, though, I'm pretty
confident that every possible solution has already been brought up. :-)

(Thanks for your other comments btw, I've taken note of them.)