[whatwg] HTML 5 Script Tag

Eduard Pascual herenvardo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:53:42 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Cready, James<jcready at rtcrm.com> wrote:
> You make a great point. But whether or not you use the XML/XHTML <syntax/>
> or the HTML 4 <syntax> doesn¹t matter much. Since like I showed in my
> previous example: the instant you specify a src attribute on your opening
> <script> tag the browser will not execute anything inside the tags.

You are quite missing the point: see this example:
<!DOCTYPE PUBLIC html>
    <head>
        <script src="test.js" />
    </head>

Unless you serve this as XHTML (with an XML mimetype), nothing will be
shown on the browser.

Let's see why: text/html triggers the browser's tag-soup parser, which
fixes issues on the fly. The first issue it finds is the straneous
trailing slash on the script, which it just ignores. Then, </head> is
probably taken as literal (as if you had typed </head>), because
the <head> can't be closed until the <script> is closed. Then that
as just text (I don't really know *all* the details of error-handling
case by case); but in any case it is content of a <script> inside the
<head>, so there is no chance it will get rendered. Once the parser
encounters the end of the file, it implicitly closes the currently
Summarizing, the above sample is taken by any browser as page with an
external <script> that includes some junk content, but with no body at
all.

In the general case, the issue is not the trailing slash for
<self-closing />. The issue is that the browser will ignore everything
from <script ... /> until it encounters a </script>

I like the idea of using <link> to reference external scripts; and it
shouldn't be too hard for vendors to implement. However, there is no
chance to change how browsers handle <script>. Not with so many
millions of pages relying on that behavior. And you can still use
XHTML5 if you want the "/>" to mean something.

Regards,
Eduard Pascual